Campbell Aviation began developing Indianapolis Executive Airport (TYQ) as Terry Airport in 1957
with a 3,340 feet by 60 feet bituminous runway configured in a north-south direction and a 3,000
feet by 200 feet turf runway configured in a northeast-southwest direction. It was certified by the
State of Indiana in 1958. The airport included 10 T-hangars and an administration building. A few
years later, twenty-six additional T-hangars were added. In 1965, the Campbells sold the airport to the Van Sickles.
In 1978, the north-south runway (Runway 18-36) was lengthened to 5,160 feet, widened to 75 feet,
and three aircraft turnarounds were constructed. Other improvements made by the Van Sickles
included installing High Intensity Runway Lights (HIRL), Visual Approach Slope Indicators (VASI-2)
for both runways and an Instrument Landing System, including a Non Directional Beacon (NDB). Three additional large hangars were also added.
The airport was classified as a reliever to Indianapolis International Airport in the 1980s, which
opened the door for the facility to get government funding from the FAA and the State
of Indiana. In 1986, TYQ received it’s first federal grant for construction to
install underdrains for Runway 18-36 and acquire 40 acres of land for approach
protection. In 1987 and 1988, other grants were received to reconstruct, widen, and groove the
primary runway, which resulted in a 60,000 lb. DWL (dual wheel loading) strength for the runway.
Under this grant, 33 more acres of land were acquired, an aircraft apron was constructed, and a
partial parallel taxiway was added. In the early 1990’s, TYQ received three more grants for extending the runway to its current length of 5,500 feet and acquiring 322 more acres of land.
The airport did not receive further grants until 2001 when they mitigated wetland impacts and
graded the runway safety area. In 2003, the airport was purchased by Hamilton County and the
Hamilton County Airport Authority began receiving a series of grants for reimbursement for that purchase.
Completed in 2018, this perimeter fence was designed to fully enclose the airport, adding a significant level of security and protection from wildlife hazards.
Planning started in 2008 for this 1,500' extension to Runway 18/36. Estimated at a total of $11 million, construction is currently in the grading and drainage process. Completion is anticipated in 2023.
Spearheaded by First Wing Jet Center, 12 new "executive hangars" are being developed on the western-side of the airport. These hangars will be 60'x65'. Construction will occur throughout summer of 2021.
The airport will be adding to its current customer parking lot, increasing total capacity by 50%. Construction will occur summer of 2021.
The Airport will be completing a major repair and rehabilitation of pavement in front of T-Hangar building "J." This work will be completed over the summer of 2021.
The airport is exploring the future development of an LPV approach in to Runway 18. This approach would bring full precision approach capabilities in to Runway 18. Completion timeframe is 2-3 years.
In 2018, a cooperative land-use study plan was commissioned between Indy Exec and the Town of Zionsville. This study is intended to analyze land around the airport in order to better understand compatible use and future zoning practices. More information can be found on Zionville's website.
Indy Exec is required by the FAA to have a valid Master Plan and Airport Layout Plan which are both used to guide future airport developmental considerations. The most recent iterations of these plans were developed in 2008. These documents can be found by accessing the "Documents" link below.
The Hamilton County Airport Authority (HCAA) is the governing body of the airport. Consisting of a five-member board, the HCAA is responsible for the strategic vision and decision-making of the airport. More information about the Board, including upcoming Board Meetings can be found at the below link.
Additional Documents can be found here.